Friday, June 19, 2009

Have you ever made a dish explode in the microwave?

I have. Twice. Really? Well, ok, the 2nd time (tonight) the dish had been out of the microwave for several minutes before it spontaneously combusted.  I think that actually exemplifies even more super power on my part. 

The first time I was cooking bacon in the microwave which I believe is a fairly normal thing.  I cook it on a dinner plate all the time.  I believe that’s what the instructions on the bacon package say to do.  I heard a strange noise and then bam…my plate busts into a gazillion pieces.  The craziest part is that I took the broken pieces into Target, put on my best puppy dog face and they actually opened another set and gave me a new dinner plate.  Amazing.  I have new hope in Target’s return policy. 

So I got this great recipe from www.allrecipes.com for homemade potato chips in the microwave.  I would share the exact recipe link but I don’t want you to go exploding a dish (but you could just search potato chips and find it).  It says to cook potato slices on a plate in the microwave for 5-8min.  Not wanting to break another plate and having to risk Target not exchanging a second one (which, by the way, said “microwave safe” on the bottom) I decided to use a Pyrex glass casserole dish.  Surely Pyrex can withstand the power of my microwave.  So they cook for about 8 min.  I take it out and am taking the chips out one by one when suddenly shards of glass fly across the kitchen.  Did I mention I had also made hamburger buns from scratch? Yah, the dough was sitting right next to the Pyrex dish when it exploded. 

Of course, Wade had been hugging my legs right before it happened making that new sound I (do not) LOVE so much, how do I spell it for you…I don’t know the right letters.  You know, that sound pre-speaking toddlers make when they want something.  My super-mother instinct shot into action and I grabbed him out of the way so no one got hurt.  Except my dinner.

Poor Andrew tried to clean it up and salvage the hamburger bun dough but the glass was too hot to touch.  So, we put up the baby gate so Sammy couldn’t eat the glass (which he probably would have…not kidding) and abandoned ship. 

Anyway, we’ll see if Wal-mart measures up to Target on returning the Pyrex dish…which clearly states on the bottom (and that piece is still intact) “microwave safe”. 

On another note, sorry I haven’t shared many pics of the Wadester lately.  Next post…pictures only.  Maybe a few words. 

Guess it’s off to bed for me.  Andrew is downstairs in the basement working on my anniversary present.  I am totally clueless as to what it is.  He’s been working on it every night this week.  He’s using a saw and some other power tools.  He also asked where he might find a paint brush.  And he only spent $8.  And he said he isn’t following any kind of instructions.  Guess I’ll let you know Sunday!

No comments: