Monday, February 16, 2009

Sweet and Sour

Things have gotten interesting around here.  Wade is no longer Mr. Sweetie Pie 100% of the time.  For instance, today he was Mr. Sweetie Pie for, I would say about 30 minutes total.  He has figured out that if something doesn’t quite go his way he can wail as if his arm has been severed and possibly get his way.  I am just going to confess my frustration with this.  So far in parenting I think I’ve kept a pretty cool head but this has got me at my wits end.  I now know why God designed it so one year olds go to bed at 7pm, it’s for the parents.  The problem is that I cannot reason with him.  I feel like I am suddenly on the rollercoaster of disciplining my child only I don’t have my safety harness locked in place.  Does anyone have any wisdom here? Is this normal? What do I do?

5 comments:

Nicole said...

Try "The Happiest Toddler on the Block" by Dr. Harvey Karp. We are also big fans of ingoring the "but I want it" fits.

Michelle said...

Brian is notorious for these fits and they also started at about a year old. My suggestion (take it for what you will) is to read the book "Secrets of the Baby Whisperer for Toddlers" by Tracy Hogg. She is wonderful. I would tell what she says to do about it, but I haven't gotten to the tantrum section yet (school is too busy right now). I will check it out when I get home and let you know what she says. Hang in there. I can't say it gets better, but you do get more used to it. We mostly ignore it too.

Daisha said...

Stay the course and never give in. And if it gets too much for you (which it will) put Wade in his crib, shut the door, and sit on your front porch praying for supernatural patience.

It is a phase and as soon as they learn that it won't work, they move on to another technique. :)

-Daisha

Anonymous said...

My sweet friend, with having a 22 and almost 2o year old, I can barely remember these days. LOL. But yes, it gets better and yes, it is totally normal. I am, and was, a big fan of distraction. Remove Wade from the situation and then distract him with something else that is completely different, even if it means leaving that room totally. And pray my friend. I have done a lot of that over the years and it has never failed me. Even when the situation remains, the peace comes. I will be praying for you both. :)

Marcia said...

I wish I had some wisdon, but I think I'm only a few cars ahead of you on the rollercoaster. I totally agree with you on early bedtimes for toddlers being on of God's gifts to parents.