Saturday, August 30, 2008

I'm a Big Kid Now!

Saturday turned out to be a day of milestones. Wade woke up early and then took a so-so morning nap. I just have to mention that Wade's Saturday morning naptime is one of my favorite times of the week. Usually Andrew sleeps in so it's just me up. I'm not quite sure how this is different from all the other days of the week. I guess there's something about knowing Andrew is home and also that I don't need to feel the pressure to be as productive during naptime. Anyway...moving on with what you really care about.



After his nap we packed the diaper bag with all manner of entertainment. Uncle D had somehow managed to get us all a lunch reservation for the pre-grand opening weekend at Red Robin. If you're a parent of a little one you will quickly agree that going out to eat is pretty much hit or miss with the kiddo. Lately it's been a lot more miss for us so we've been sticking to the "eat at your own pace" joints (i.e. Jason's Deli, Moe's, Panera). But I had packed stuff to keep him busy for a while.



So, milestone number #1 happened at Red Robin. (By the way, they do not give discounts or free meals to people named Robin...I asked...and Anna made sure I knew that was the dorkiest thing she'd ever heard me say) Wade got to sit in a big boy restaurant high chair! We tried it once before but his sitting up skills weren't quite there yet. He had so much fun eating coasters and talking to Aunt Anna. And he lasted through the entire meal! I think the ticket was that I brought food for him to eat while we were eating (even though he doesn't eat solid food at lunchtime yet)...he also may have been a little drugged (I gave him a dose of Tylenol-see the last paragraph).





Oh yeah, I'd say it was the Tylenol.

Then, tonight at bathtime we accomplished another milestone. Wade has officially graduated from the infant tub into the Big Boy/Regular Human tub. The lifeskill of sitting up opens all kinds of doors for ya!





On another note, I've been real hesitant to say that Wade is teething. For months he's been putting his hands in his mouth and drooling. He's also been pulling on his ear. Apparently sucking on the bottom lip is another sign (notice 2 of the 4 above pictures). Anyway, it's likely that to some degree he's been teething for a while but there's been absolutely no sign of teeth. And it's really easy to dismiss grumpiness as teething when it's actually likely there's something else going on (i.e. tiredness, bored, hunger, sickness). But I'm going to go ahead and say it. I think he's teething. The last 2 days I have noticed some unexplainable grumpiness on top of the other symptoms he's already had. Anyway, I'll keep you updated on the teeth front.


I'm getting sleepy and am not really on top of my game here tonight. Sorry if it was a boring, babbly post.

3 comments:

Anna Scharff said...

look at that big boy grin! so cute. thanks again for working miracles on my blog. i just gave you some mad props. much love-

Jill said...

What a big boy...this is when it really starts getting fun!!!! This is almost exactly where we were a year ago - restaurant high chairs, the big tub, teething. Now, Jack wants to sit in a restaurant booster seat and stand up in the tub! Oh, enjoy every minute and do everything himself. Wade is ADORABLE!!!!

Daisha said...

Robin--
To get the background to stay put while the middle part scrolls, I followed the directions on the "Design Your Own Blog" link I got from your site.

But today I found a bunch more great free tools to customize with.

Stay tuned for my monthly new designs. :)
-Daisha